Tuesday 12 June 2012

Psychedelia meets Victorian pin-up


My talented dressmaker friend Jane from Jane Moran Designs, at the Traders' Outlet in Sale gave me this wonderful piece of fabric, which so far I have been able to make two books from.  It's a remnant from one of her fabulous creations, and features some rather saucy images of scantily clad ladies, alongside some amazing colour combinations.  The whole piece has a 1960s psychedelic feel to it era, combined with pin-up pictures from the Victorian era, the style of which also made something of a comeback during the 1960s.

I've managed to use the more 'tasteful' parts of the fabric - editing out the naughtier bits, and have combined the vibrant fabric with bright orange endpapers.




I did consider adding a fancy Victoriana-inspired closure mechanism, but decided against it, as I think the fabric speaks for itself.








The remaining fabric was used to cover a miniature book, to which I have added a teal-coloured, silk dupion drawstring pouch.




I love this part of the fabric even more - all those swirly colour combinations are simply beautiful.  It got me searching on Etsy for items with a similar psychedelic vibe - here's a few of my favourites.


I love this abstract neon painting from ChromaMetalArt - such wonderful
colours.

  

This digital collage sheet from RetropolisPix captures the Victorian pin-up feel of my fabric.








These psychedelic push pins from Funkychickendesign are a great way to enjoy the psychedelic vibe.






Have a great week everyone!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/glassroofbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment