I love the process of bookbinding – I find enjoyment in every one of the many individual processes which contribute to making a book. But there are times when I find it the most frustrating of crafts, in particular when things don’t go according to plan, or as happened recently, when I reached the ‘unveiling’ stage of the bookbinding process (ie. Taking the finished product out of the nipping press), only to find a blemish on the front of the book which refused to budge.
My most recent creation was a A6 sized blank notebook, the creation of which had involved, as always, tearing the pages by hand, trimming the book block, then hand-sewing the notebook, carefully rounding the spine, adding headbands, hand-embroidering the cover of the book with a heart, and sequins (which I admittedly forgot about when ironing and attaching a tissue paper backing, which gave them a shall we say a “distinctive” appearance), carefully casing in the book, placing in the book press, leaving overnight, and then...discovering the mysterious blemish which had just rendered the whole process a waste of time!
My mind is furiously thinking of ways to disguise the offending blemish, without making it worse. I’ve got some ideas – watch this space.
It’s just one of those things, but it niggles. It’s not the first time it’s happened, and I’m sure it won’t be the last!